Friday, March 23, 2012

U100 Pre-race report


One week from tomorrow.  I am excited.  nervous.   :o   I keep reminding myself that I was at the front of the line to hand in my entry form.  Part of me wonders “what was I thinking”  the other part says “you have this, you are ready and can do it”

My sister is coming down to be here for the weekend.  I am looking forward to spending time with her.  (Hunger Games date on Friday!)  We do not get many opportunities to spend time together and this weekend will be one of them.  Granted we may sleep Sunday and Monday away, but Friday - Sunday will be epic.  She will finally have the chance to meet many of the Raleigh running crew.  She will be around U100 headquarters and volunteering at aid station 1 telling you to grab your food and get back out there!  ;) 

I have not hit the 100 mile mark yet.  It is a hard number to get your mind around.  100 miles is a long way to drive, let alone run.  Mentally you have to go into it realizing that it is going to take a long, long time.  83 was the magic number back in December.  The goal of 100 cut short by extreme cold. 

I in vision the first few laps at U100 to be fun, ‘easy’ and enjoyable.  Just a walk in the park, right?  I know there will be difficult times.  I have been there before, and knowing ahead of time what could happen just plain rots.   I hope they post signs along the way that say “suck it up cupcake”.  It’s the only way to earn that buckle (or pendant, I have not decided yet, but leaning more towards pendant), push through it!!!  Its only pain, right?

Saturdays forecasted weather looks great - 71/54 and DRY!  No extreme cold which I am sooooooooo thankful for - I know Lauren is too! ;)  Thankfully the pollen has come out with a vengeance THIS week.  Hopefully the worst of it will be gone by next week!

Here’s to all the runners toeing the line next weekend.  A special thanks to all the volunteers who have already worked hard putting this race together.  I heard they outnumber the registered runners!  That says a LOT about this event and the community. 

Looking forward to a great weekend! 

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment